What’s new in .NET Framework 4.0
· Next versions of Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) will provide better support for Web 2.0 technologies like REST, POX, ATOM.
· Performance and Scalability of WCF and WF are expected to increase by minimum 10X.
· New workflow models.
· Seamless integration between WCF and WF including a new Visual Designer.
· Parallel Programming framework using PLINQ, Task Parallel Library and Coordination Data Structures to better utilize power of multi-processor and multi-core machines.
· Build declarative applications with WF, WCF and WPF using XAML. So, XAML is no more only for WPF and WF.
· WCF enhancements :
o RESTful enhancements
§ Simplifying the building of REST Singleton & Collection Services, ATOM Feed and Publishing Protocol Services, and HTTP Plain XML Services using WCF
§ WCF REST Starter Kit to be released on Codeplex to get early feedback
o Messaging enhancements
§ Transports – UDP, MQ, Local in-process
§ Protocols – SOAP over UDP, WS-Discovery, WS-BusinessActivity, WS-I BP 1.2
§ Duplex durable messaging
o Correlation enhancements
§ Content and context driven, One-way support
o Declarative Workflow Services
§ Seamless integration between WF and WCF and unified XAML model
§ Build entire application in XAML, from presentation to data to services to workflow
· WF enhancements :
o Significant improvements in performance and scalability
§ Ten-fold improvement in performance
o New workflow flow-control models and pre-built activities
§ Flowcharts, rules
§ Expanded built-in activities – PowerShell, database, messaging, etc.
o Enhancements in workflow modeling
§ Persistence control, transaction flow, compensation support, data binding and scoping
§ Rules composable and seamlessly integrated with workflow engine
o Updated visual designer
§ Easier to use by end-users
§ Easier to rehost by ISVs
§ Ability to debug XAML